There's a 5-step process to getting unblocked about getting paid for what you love to do, full-time or as a side hustle. Here they are:
- Understand what it means to be human: Absorb experiences, make lots of mistakes, get in your way, and also, occasionally, do beautiful, unspeakably great things, like create something meaningful.
- Delight in your mistakes, because it means your brain is growing. Laugh when you get in your own way, because it means you're trying. To be succinct: respect yourself and the work you do. Let your actions reflect that respect.
- Ask yourself what's the better action to take next time? How can you not make the same mistake again?
- Take the better action next time.
- Loop Steps 1-4 for as long as it takes.
These 5 steps get you to understand and feel your value as a creative. After a lot of Step 5, you can sit in front of someone who wants to pay you for the great, important work you do, and you'll be able to charge what you're worth. Because what they see in you will match what you believe about yourself.